Monday, September 30, 2013

Finding the Good

As I mentioned in my last post, my parents have not been able to live an easy life lately.  My mom described it like they're in the ocean, about to get their bearings and staying afloat and all of a sudden another wave comes and knocks them down again.  When we talk on the phone after another wave hits them, I always encourage them to look at the little victories in the everyday.  Is Dad getting around a little faster than he was?  Is he able to make dinner tonight?  Did you have the time to see the grandson in town in between doctors' office visits, home health visits, and dialysis?  Little things in the everyday that seem so minor, but if you look back you realize how far you've come.

Well, today, for me, was that kind of day that had me doing the same thing.  It was a day that seemed like no good was present.  Everything was negative.  I made my first MAJOR mistake at work.  Then I got home and only got two hours of sleep after 3 shifts in a row.  Because of this, I looked like I stood up my pastor at a scheduled meeting, even though I'd emailed him and said I couldn't meet (I guess he didn't get the email).  The night ended with Little S throwing the biggest tantrum at bedtime that I've ever experienced.

A Redd's Apple Ale, a few snapchats, some Candy Crush, and a bunch of laundry folding later, I am ready to end this night, but I know that I need to practice what I preach so that I don't think of only negatives to this day.  I know there are positives.  I have a friend who "counts her blessings" on facebook.  She's on #336.  That's neat.  I'd forget the number I was on.

The good in today's little moments:
1) I ran for 20 minutes straight, equaling 2 miles.  WHAT?!?!?!  I am not a runner so this is huge!  The couch to 5K training program is AWESOME!  I can't wait to see how much better of a runner I get and possibly speeding up my pace (but I won't push that one).

2) Clean sheets.  Since I'm trying to clean up our room and actually do laundry, it was time to wash the sheets on the bed.  I love going to bed in clean sheets.

3) Watson, the dog.  You won't see me count him as a blessing much, but today he was.  I took him on my run and he was actually a great running companion.  Usually, when it's me, Big S, Little S in the stroller, and him, he's a totally annoyance, but today he was wonderful.

4)  My new St. Louis Cardinals Jacket.  Oh yeah, had to buy one for the playoffs.  12 in '13!!!

5) Chaco, the other dog.  Just because she's so cute and she was my first baby.

6) Precious time with the little.  Even though our time ended with me holding my head in my hands trying to be more stubborn than our stubborn little boy, our time together before that was awesome.  He's so sweet and smart and I just love him so much.

7) Our housemate.  Yes, we have a friend living in our basement.  I love her and she brings me joy.  I am so thankful for her and that she can help take care of Little S.  She is a blessing.

8) Josh Groban.  I know. Weird.  I've been listening to him since the tantrum started.  He just makes me relaxed.  When I studied abroad, I would listen to him to calm down from my (self-imposed) drama.  (Another story, another time).  We have tickets to his concert in October and I am SO EXCITED!!! It is seriously (and sadly, probably) a dream come true.  My husband gave me an awesome Mother's Day gift.

Okay, I'm feeling better about the day so I am good to end it and go to bed.  Thanks for listening.  Remember, there is always good, even when it seems hopeless.  God is good and gracious and faithful.

No comments:

Post a Comment